After it’s 2 year hiatus from the App Store after being removed by Apple, VLC for iOS has returned. A video player app that allows you to play AVI files and MKV files along with a host of other video formats. It’s a much improved app with a whole new UI and much more stable, along with being able to play all your movies and shows in most formats directly without conversion to MP4, they have also added the ability to synchronize media to your device using WiFi Upload, iTunes, Dropbox, or direct downloads from the web.
- Play all files, in all formats, including exotic ones, like classic VLC media player.
- Play MKV, multiple audio tracks (including 5.1), and subtitles tracks (including SSA!).
- Support for network streams, including HLS, MMS or RTSP.
- Include video filters, playback speed manipulation, and fine seeking.
- A video media library, with WiFi Upload, Dropbox integration and optional passcode lock.
- Integration for bluetooth headsets and AirPlay.
- Supports iOS 5.1 or later including the first iPad.
- Completely free, libre and open source.
This is a much more stable app that is actually usable, versus the previous version. It’s great to have the ability to watch videos in their raw format or simply a be able to watch in formats other than MP4 without having to convert them. I was testing this on an iPhone 5 and it was running Dexter in 720p MKV very smoothly, however it doesn’t have support for 6.1 audio. There are a few other bugs but for the most part this a high quality app and can stand by the desktop version of VLC. I recommend VLC to anyone who has the need for playing AVI files or MKV files on their iOS device. Download it free below to try it yourself.